Election Day 2018 taking place in:
If you are not sure whether you are registered to vote, you can CHECK HERE.
On this link, you can also find the county where you are registered and your polling place or voting center, among other important information.
ELECTION WATCH: The latest election news and analysis
Important Dates to Remember:
May 7, 2018
First day to vote by mail
May 21, 2018
Last day to register to vote in time for the June 5 primary
May 29, 2018
Last day that county elections officials will accept any voter's application for a vote-by-mail ballot
June 5, 2018
There is a substantial list of candidates for governor, but the following are some of the most prominent:
- Travis Allen is a Republican assemblyman from Orange County who has served three terms.
- John Chiang, a Democrat, was elected state treasurer in 2014. He had previously served two terms as state controller.
- John Cox, a Republican, is a lawyer and property management businessman from Chicago.
- Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, has served as California’s lieutenant governor since 2011. He was mayor of San Francisco for two terms, from 2004 to 2011.
- Antonio Villaraigosa, a Democrat, was Los Angeles mayor for two terms, from 2005 to 2013. He previously served as speaker of the state Assembly from 1998 to 2000.
California State Superintendent
The leading candidates are:
- Tony Thurmond has served in the California State Assembly since 2014. He was previously a member of the Richmond City Council, a Board Member of West Contra Costa Unified School District, and a social services administrator.
- Marshall Tuck has spent 15 years in public education. Most recently, he worked with the New Teacher Center, a nonprofit that collaborates with school districts to develop and retain effective principals and teachers. He was also founding CEO of Partnerships for Los Angeles Schools, a collaboration between the Mayor’s office and LAUSD which operates 18 struggling schools.